VanderMolens by some windmills

VanderMolens by some windmills

Friday, September 30, 2011

Slow cooker Applesauce

For the Cadet Dine and Sign we're doing a "Harvest Theme" the menu will include pulled pork, seasoned green beans, au gratin potatoes and homemade applesauce.  Many people get excited when they hear how I make it but it's the only way I've ever made applesauce!

Ingredients
10 apples (I do a variety- Gala, Honeycrisp, Macintosh, Ida Red etc.)
1/4 cup of water (some people use 1/4 cup of apple juice but I never do)
2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg

Peel, core and slice apples into chunks place in crock pot with rest of the ingredients.
Place on low for 6-8 hours depending on how you like your applesauce.  I normally stick closer to 6 hours and then when I stir it with a large spoon there are still chunks of apples left.  If you want it "smoother" cook it closer to 8 hours.
Cool (if you can keep your family away from it:) and place in jars or tupperware containers.
Since I don't can the applesauce I just freeze all but one jar and then pull out another when needed.
Serve warm for best flavor.


Note: A half bushel of apples makes 25 1/2 cups of applesauce.  A 1/2 cup is considered a serving.
Do not succumb to temptation and use store bought canned apples.  They have no flavor and cannot be redeemed by any amount of sugar, cinnamon or nutmeg.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment