VanderMolens by some windmills

VanderMolens by some windmills

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vegetable Beef Soup in Bread Bowls

Though the weather was amazing for March (75-85) it quickly turned cold again and has been back in the 40s and 50s.  I decided to make some soup for dinner last night because it was cold and gray outside!  The bread bowls were made using Rhodes frozen bread dough, the recipe is on the package.  The soup was one of the make-ahead freezer meals.  I threw all the ingredients in a plastic bag and threw it in the freezer a while ago with the label telling me what I needed to add (water and broth) before putting it in the crockpot.  It's so much easier to make dinner in the morning when people aren't tired and hungry and having melt downs!  The recipe below reflects making two bags of soup.  Easy and delicious.


The website below gives the other recipes I made ahead.. . note my kids weren't thrilled with the terriyaki chicken.  It doesn't look appetizing though it's not bad.  The goulash had too strong of a tomato paste taste so my family didn't like it.  I'd greatly reduce how much I add next time.
http://melissafallistestkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/freezer-cooking-slow-cooker-meals.html

Savory Vegetable Beef Soup (2 Bags)
Chop 1 Onion and chop 2 Cloves of Garlic- Brown in Pan with the pound and a half of Ground Beef- once cool divide mixture between bags
2 whole carrots chopped per bag
2 celery stalks chopped per bag
3 Red Potatoes chopped per bag
1 can v8 split between bags
1 28oz can diced tomatoes SPLIT between bags
1 cup frozen green beans in each bag
1/2 TBS Worcestershire per bag
1/2 cup Beef Broth per bag
1 TBS Parsley per bag
1 tsp Basil per bag
1/2 tsp Thyme per bag
1/2 tsp salt per bag
1/2 tsp pepper per bag
1 TBS Sugar per bag



Directions
Place in Crockpot with 1.5 cups of water and 15 oz Beef Broth. Cook on LOW 8 Hours.
Hollow out bread and spoon soup inside.

2 comments:

  1. How much ground beef do you put in each bag? Also, you need to update your profile and picture to include Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I tried to add a new pic but didn't succeed. I should try again.

    I used a pound and a half split between the bags. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete