VanderMolens by some windmills

VanderMolens by some windmills

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Miller


In many cultures the miller was an important person.  Someone well connected socially (he met everyone) and essential (everyone needed bread), he was a vital part of the community.  He was also a social step above the farmers as his skill kept people fed but he wasn't a common laborer.  The mill was comprised of a large fixed stone and another smaller stone set on top of it that was powered by machinery of some kind.  This was powered by animals or water or wind (like the above painting from the Dutchman Mondrian) .  The miller would then grind the grain coming to him from the farmers/peasants and give them the now usable substance.  You can't make bread with a hunk of wheat it has to be ground into flour!

Made another loaf of bread yesterday to take to friends who have a new baby! I'm loving this I need to buy more flour though I'm all out! After two loaves of zucchini bread and two loaves of white bread I'm starting to just get warmed up.  I also have a bunch of bananas in the freezer that need to be made into bread too!  Food is my love language.

1 comment: