VanderMolens by some windmills

VanderMolens by some windmills

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Run of the Mill

I'm late in the game of blogging I'll admit.  However, I liked the idea of a more in depth place than Facebook to share. . . share what I'm not sure to be honest because I can't imagine that many interested in the VanderMolen household. 

I like my blog name.  By way of explanation the expression "run of the mill" means ordinary and that's who we are an ordinary midwestern family (with a side of southern sass-that's from me).  We're trying to figure out how to love and live like Jesus would.  Our last name "VanderMolen" also means "from the mill" in Dutch.  As the "domestic engineer" I run this family from the mill!  I even made bread this afternoon from scratch and it turned out awesome!
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/08/16/q-whats-our-most-popular-recipe-a-you-wont-believe-it/#comments
I also like my child.  Tonight I was sitting and talking with Lydia who was a bit on the difficult side today. . . she was slow to listen and quick to tears.  As I was readying her for bed I told her that in the morning I wanted her to listen with her ears (I touched them) and to obey with a happy heart (I traced a heart shape on her chest).  Then two minutes later she wasn't listening and so I said her name and then touched my ears and she said "and with a happy heart mom!" Hopefully that lesson will stick in the morning!

Off to read my book of O. Henry Short Stories.  I like them.  They are often set in urban places with interesting people and there is always a twist at the end!  The best part is they are a few pages long so I feel great reading just a few and then falling off to sleep!  Good night world!

No comments:

Post a Comment