VanderMolens by some windmills

VanderMolens by some windmills

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Maple Pumpkin Cheesecake

My family's origins (after Europe) are rooted in Vermont.  My great grandparent's house is still there and we migrate back in the summertime to see family.  The "Brick House" as we call it is even where Fig and I honeymooned!  Having roots in Vermont we really cherish and uphold their maple syrup as the best in the world which is a bit tricky now living in Michigan that also produces some fine (but not the best:) maple syrup.  In fact that was what our first fight as a married couple was about, whether or not we should buy Vermont maple syrup!  I love maple flavored anything and this recipe was found in the "Incredible Edibles 2011" (the cookbook that was the supplement to the Advance newspaper).  Lisa Kramer submitted it and it was the category winner.  Kudos to her, it's an amazing cheesecake that I made for last night when people were over for games.



Maple Pumpkin Cheesecake
1 1/2 c. crushed graham crackers
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c.melted butter
3 8 oz packages of cream cheese softened
1 c. canned pumpkin
2/3 c. maple sugar (or brown sugar)
1/4c. maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp.vanilla
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 Caramel Sauce

Mix graham crackers, sugar and butter; press onto bottom and sides of 9-inch ungreased springform pan.  Bake 8 minutes in preheated 325 degree oven.  Cool completelly.
Beat cream cheese, add pumpkin, sugar, syrup, and vanilla, then fold in eggs. Pour filling into crust.
Bake at 325 degrees for 60-70 minutes.  Cool for 15 minutes, then with knife, loosen crust from pan.
Cool another 30 minutes, remove from pan, cool an hour, then chill in refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
Drizzle Caramel Sauce over top when serving.

Caramel Sauce
1/4 c. whipping cream
1/4 c. butter
1/3 c. maple sugar (or brown sugar)
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Bring to boil, all but vanilla 3 minutes, stir in vanilla, cool.

Note: I didn't have whipping cream on hand so I just didn't serve the cheesecake with the topping.  So I can only vouch for the amazingness of the cheesecake but I can imagine it would have been even better with the caramel sauce!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    I was just reading your post, thinking how yummy this cheesecake would be, when I noticed that cream cheese is missing from the ingredients list! (unless i'm totally overlooking something). How much cream cheese goes into it? Thanks for posting-- I look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Rachael! You were totally right I skipped right over that part! I inserted the correct amount in the above post! Thanks for catching it :).

    ReplyDelete