VanderMolens by some windmills

VanderMolens by some windmills

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Blueberries for Sal. . . or Bundt Cake!

I made this cake for our leaders' meeting Monday night and had a piece on Tuesday for breakfast.  So good!  The recipe comes from the "City of Suffolk Employees' Cookbook" it was submitted by Angela M. Gomer who apparently works in the City Assessor's office.  Suffolk is a city in Southeastern Virginia close to Norfolk where I spent ten years of my life.  They grow a lot of peanuts but I chose a recipe that used blueberries because I had a pint of them sitting in my fridge!

Blueberry Bundt cake
1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
3 c. self-rising flour
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1 pt. blueberries

Grease bundt pan. Pick over berries, wash and drain.  Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Mix baking powder with 2 1/2 cups of flour and stir into creamed mixture.  Dredge berries gently into remaining 1/2 c. flour and fold into batter along with vanilla.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake between 60 and 70 minutes at 325.  Cool in pan 5 minutes and turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.

Notes:  To make it easier to get the berries out of the flour use a slotted spoon or fork so the flour falls through.
I did drizzle it with some sugar glaze I had left over from a different baking project. . .it looked nice but isn't necessary.
I really enjoyed the flavor of the cake it kindof tasted lemony which made me think a few drops of lemon or orange flavoring would be even all that more tasty.
Thanks to Grandma Jeanne for the beautiful cake stand she gave to me the year Fig and I got married.  We miss her!

1 comment:

  1. This looks REALLY good Rebecca! You're an amazing cook!!
    ~God Bless~

    ReplyDelete